Sunday, July 10

The Typos Are Loose!

Typo n.

1. a typographical error.

2. when you know how to spell something, you just suck at punching the keys.

We all make mistakes when we are writing. With programs today correcting our spelling, we can get a little slack…but nothing can save us from the dreaded typo.

I can’t recall the number of times I have re-read things I have written, scouring it for any typos, only to see them pop up later or have them pointed out by someone else. All I want to do is show someone my masterpiece and they go, “Uh…there’s a typo here.” Drat!

I know it’s all for the best. I don’t want to be the dunce who misses typos out of stubbornness. I’ve been on the other side of it, seeing typos pop up everywhere. How unrefined!

Typos are really easy to spot when it’s not your own writing. They stand out in bold when I’m reading published works. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has read an edition far from the first that still had mistakes in it. Didn’t they catch and fix this by now?

How many times have you been reading a book when you come across a typo? What do you do? Does it make your eye twitch? Do you cock your head for a while and wonder what that’s supposed to mean until you realise it’s a mistake? Do you pencil in a correction? Contact the publishing house and point it out?

Typos can be aggravation aggravating, whether they’re your own or not. The best way to target them when they are in your own writing is to a) get someone else to read through it – but they sometimes miss them too – or b) read the piece aloud. If you are too familiar with your writing, however, this can also backfire, since you might see what you expect to be there, instead of the mistake that is.

Is there no escaping the dreaded typo? They plague our writing and make us seem like clumsy fools.

What do you do to protect yourself against the inevitable attack?


Note: If you find a typo in any of the posts on Quill Café, please send us an email and let us know. You are will be doing a great service to your fellow Quillers.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I don't usually notice them in published books, though I think it's Diane Duane who purposely leaves one in every book she publishes with the idea that no book is perfect and it's better to at least know the mistake. But yeah, I get so aggravated when I see them in my own writing! It's worse though when I'm chatting with someone online cuz they always, always point it out.