Tuesday, June 5

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Hazel is a teen with cancer, biding her time on a miracle drug, embracing life through a novel...but inevitably smothered by the reality that is her life. Then she meets Augustus Waters, a boy from support group, who is in remission from his own cancer. The two connect in ways Hazel could never have believed for herself and they both set off on a journey of self-discovery, paved with humour, tragedy and romance.

This was an emotional book. Not because of cancer and sickness but rather the attachment I gained to the characters. So many young adult novels force "love" onto the reader and it irks me. In 'The Fault in Our Stars,' I connected with the love between characters, not because I was told to but because I experienced that sensation for myself.

Hazel and Augustus are two teenagers that could have been alienating. Not because they have cancer but because they phrase words and ideas in ways I could never fathom, let alone on whim. Yet, they did not come across as preachy or pretentious. There is such depth to their words and feelings without it feeling like you are being pulled under and drowned by emotion. There are some books I find hard to pick back up mid-read, regardless of whether they are amazing. I think, Is this too much? Yet, it was never a challenge for me to be enveloped by 'The Fault in Our Stars.'

I listened to the book on audio. At first, I wondered if I might have made a mistake, if perhaps this was a book that needed to be read. It wasn't. Kate Rudd brought this book to life in ways I could not have imagined for myself. There are some female narrators who go overboard to get that "guy" voice, particularly in teen fiction but Rudd was perfect in that and every other aspect of the narration.

John Green is 100% my litrary idol for his brilliance in creating the experience which is 'The Fault in Our Stars.' I can't go much further without delving into zombie creepiness, such as expressing a desire to crawl inside his skin or harvest his brain. Oops, too late.

I finished this book just before midnight on the 5th of June 2012. It is by far my favourite of the year so far and I know it is a book I will return to. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be swept up by a story that is about life and love, rather than a book that parades in the mask of one. A lot of people have expressed reluctance of the audio book. I cannot repeat enough that there should be none.

Warning: There is a near certain chance this book will make you cry. I cried and I do not cry at books without selfish reason. If I am emotionally impacted by something to that extent it is because I am funneling a personal emotion through it. This was purely my attachment to the story.
In accordance with the FTC, Quill Café would like to disclose that the reviewer purchased this book. The opinions expressed are hers alone and no monetary compensation was offered to her by the author or publisher.

No comments: