Thursday, January 5

Spoilers!

If you have never had a novel spoiled for you, then you're one of the lucky few. Within this post I will spoil nothing but I will recount a few unfortunate circumstances when I have had plot points spoiled for me, whether by my own doing, by another, or by simple misfortune.

That's a Little More than I Needed to Know

When I was ten years old, I was enthralled by the Harry Potter books. I still am, in fact. I had finished the second book and was about to start the Prisoner of Azkaban. My younger cousin had already read the book and was very excited about it. She gave me a synopsis of the novel...which included the climactic reveal.

My cousin was only eight and she didn't mean to spoil the book for me but I still held it against her. Regardless, the Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite of the Harry Potter books for a long time.

Don't Skip Ahead, You Fool

I have this awful habit when I'm reading. I don't do it as much now, but when I find a novel where I am enamoured with a particular character and they disappear from the plot for a little while, I flick through the pages ahead to see if their name is going to pop up anytime soon.

While I only meant for this to be a way to keep me reading and get me excited about the return of the favoured character, it does often end up spoiling moments for me that lie ahead. After all, why would you want to spoil a moment concerning a character you like?

I Couldn't Look Away

If there are good books, there will always be scavengers producers ready to adapt them into films. With so many movies coming out each year, it's hard to keep track of what is based on a book and what isn't.

Even when you know that something is adapted from a novel and you have your mind set on not seeing the film until you've read the book, it doesn't always turn out that way. I was determined not to watch Water for Elephants until I'd read the novel and yet I found myself on a flight where it was playing and I was sucked in.

I Wish I Hadn't Decided to Seek Out Spoilers

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is so impatient to learn something that they take the decision to spoil things for themselves. I don't do this too often – I learn from my mistakes – but it does happen.

Back in 2008, I had just finished reading the three Twilight novels that had been published. I was eager to read the fourth and final book. On the morning that it was released, I still wasn't willing to wait. I looked up the book on the internet and learned more than I bargained for. My reaction was something of disbelief or rather, 'Ugh.'

I decided to give the book the benefit of the doubt and purchased it anyway. My reaction was, 'Eurgh.' After spoiling things for myself, I was without the surprise and left with only the disappointment.

Justified Paranoia

We return again to Harry Potter. In 2007, the final book in the series, the Deathly Hallows, was released. I was living in New Zealand at the time. This is significant for two reasons.

1. The book was released at the same time all over the world. So while the poor English blokes had to wait at midnight and either stay up all night reading or wait until the morning to start, it was 11am in New Zealand.

2. We weren't on summer holidays and there was school on Monday.

First of all, the entire novel had been scanned on the internet by some #^!¢& a couple of weeks before the release date. This meant that spoilers about the book were circulating and I was paranoid that I was going to be the unwilling spoilee.

The day before the book was released – a Friday – I ran home from school with music blasting in my ears, dropped my bag and subsequently lost my keys. I had to break into my house.

On Monday, I had read the book but there were plenty of people who hadn't. Shutting yourself off from the internet and phones is fine on weekends and holidays but when you have to go to school, it is harder to escape these things. During the day, I'm sure I told one guy to f**k off and had a silent determination to bash anyone in with a chair that dared spoil anything to anyone about my favourite fictional character.

It didn't come to that but I think that the word fanatic is an apt one. True fandom brings out your inner crazy.

Well, That's Just Not Fair

This one is recent and it sucks. Apart from the co-written 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' I have not read any of John Green's novels, which is scandalous. The book that everyone tells me I should read first is 'Looking for Alaska.' Except...there was an incident.

It happened in a book store. I picked up a copy of 'Looking for Alaska' and it slipped in my hand and I fumbled with it. It opened up at the back of the book where you have those suggested questions for book clubs. Why do you think this had to happen in the story? was the gist of it. I was not happy.

Since then, I have purchased a copy of the book but I still have yet to read it. I suppose I need to suck it up and go all Prisoner of Azkaban on its arse because it could turn out to be a fantastic read, regardless.

Spoilers: they suck.

2 comments:

angelaquarles.com said...

Yep, I hate when that happens! Just recently, though not on the scale of an HP spoiler, or LOST, or something like that, I was reading the reviews of Austenland on Amazon and one of the bad reviews totally gave the ending away. I almost didn't buy the book because of this review, but am glad I ignored it, because I really enjoyed the book. However, I always had that ending looming over my shoulder and I think I would have enjoyed it more without knowing.

Diana said...

I'm totally prone to spoilers and am always trying to look ahead in a series. While they usually drive me to continue reading you're right they do ruin what the moment was suppose to be.
I once had a book spoiled for me while looking at its Goodreads page and saw that someone labeled it under vampires... well I wasn't aware that it was about vampires. Also on Goodreads someone decided to add the final line of Catching Fire, thankfully I had already read the book or I would have been so mad; that's why I avoid the quotes section until I finish a book.