Monday, July 2

The Imperfect are Shallow

What's that age old lesson? Oh yes, "Beauty is found within." No idea who came up with that schtick. I won't say it isn't true but I have noticed some hypocritical applications of it in fiction.

I've read enough books and seen enough television to know that you don't have to be the coolest or most attractive guy or girl to get the hot and popular guy or girl...but the guy or girl you want must be gorgeous. Yes, literature has shown me that I should accept my own imperfections but still idealize the physicality of men.

Ever seen a movie about a dorky but charming guy who ended up with a super fox? How 'bout a book where the heroine wasn't the prettiest but still caught the attentions of the boy with the gorgeous eyes and dimpled smile? The stunning double standards of this constant premise is a huge slap in the face. Classically attractive characters aren't shallow, characters with imperfect physical features are.

Let's give ourselves a round of applause for making readers feel better about the way they look and their own awkwardness, by living through quirky protagonists...and objectifying literary love interests everywhere.

Can anyone recommend me a book where Nervous Nate ends up with Blemished Bruce or Athletically-Challenged Anne? I can't be the only one who has noticed this paradigm.

1 comment:

Sydnee said...

"Yes, literature has shown me that I should accept my own imperfections but still idealize the physicality of men."

That is probably the most perfect thing I've ever read, haha. IT'S SO TRUE. This is exactly why I chose a skinny freckled ginger for my hero (and because gingers are yummy).

Honestly, though... if all the characters were just 'average', we wouldn't even want them. We've been conditioned to want beautiful people in our entertainment... wish fulfillment perhaps?